The 9th International Youth Media Summit, July 14th – 27th. Three years in the making – 80 international visitors from 25 countries – and support from many of you!
We are gobsmacked (to quote the Scots) with the amazing people who have come forward to speak, perform and enlighten our Summit delegates. But even more gobsmackin’ is the delegates themselves. They are inspiring – using their cameras and laptops in their own countries to end discrimination, help the disabled, clean up the environment – and ease tensions across borders. Susan Atai is helping women and young people set up their own businesses in Afghanistan. Mohamed Sidibay has turned his life around after being kidnapped and forced to be a child soldier in Sierra Leone. Don’t try to resist – you’re going to fall in love with all 80 delegates.
Come on down for the love fest – see the attached schedule and make a date! You are welcome anytime. But there’s limited seating for most public events, so RSVP ASAP!
· Tuesday, July 15th: The opening ceremony’s keynote speaker is Q’orianka Kilcher who won the National Board of Reviews Award for her role as Pocahontas opposite Colin Farrell and Christian Bale in The New World. (Thank you, Antonio, for the suggestion!)
· Saturday, July 19th: “The Role of Youth, Media and the Arts in the Future of Afghanistan.” A fascinating panel discussion with noted Afghan journalists, artists, and a neuroscientist, followed by an Afghan feast.
· Wednesday, July 23rd: See and learn from Oscar-winning animator Jelena Erceg.
· Thursday, July 24th: Get a ticket and meet us at the Hollywood Bowl. Dudamel, Beethoven – your hair will curl, too!
· Friday, July 25th: Hang out with the kids in Laguna Beach – get a tan.
· Saturday, July 26th: Viewing of Colorful Wings: Afghan Youth Art Exhibit and A Celebration of Youth Voices. In the gorgeous Performing Arts Center, you’ll meet all 80 delegates, see their films and be delighted by entertainment across cultures. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, but you’ll never be depressed again.
You can reserve tickets here to Colorful Wings and A Celebration of Youth Voices. Proceeds benefit scholarships for delegates.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to reserve a spot at other events.
And if money is burning a hole in your pocket this summer, we can help! Several delegates still need funding:
We hope to see you at the Summit!
Evelyn Seubert & James Gleason
Cleveland Charter High School
But wait! That’s not all!
Operators are standing by to help you book your inexpensive weekend getaway to the Summit.
If you decide to play hooky and hang with us Friday, why not stay overnight and see the Celebration of Youth Voices on Saturday? We’ve got a deal for you: The Summit has received a discount at the Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum. For any night(s) between July 25-27, the cost is $69.00 per night (plus tax). 40% off the regular room rate of $125.00! (ONLY TEN ROOMS available at this rate so book early.) The Quality Inn & Suites is only ten minutes from Soka University. Free hot breakfast, free high speed Wi-Fi, free parking, flat screen TVs, pool, spa, fitness center, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker. Our Summit team highly recommends this Quality Inn – gracious staff and lovely environment. Call 949-458-1900 and ask for a room in the “Summit Block”. www.qualityinn.com/hotel/cac63
Enjoy Laguna Beach or choose from hundreds of fun things for the family: http://www.ocweekly.com/events/search/dateRange:[2014-07-25,2014-07-28]/
Evelyn Seubert/ Founder / International Youth Media Summit / www.iyms-usa.org / 818-512-1337